The earliest record of cricket being played at Sherborne School dates from August 1841 when the Boarders played the Day Boys.? The School?s first match against another school, King?s Bruton, was played in September 1846.? These early matches were played at Lenthay and it was not until 1856 that the School acquired its own ground, ?The Upper?, though it was two more years before the first proper pitch was levelled and records of the XI?s began.
In 1874 Sherborne made their sole appearance at Lord?s and scored a resounding victory over Rossall.? Sherborne has produced two England Captains: A.W. Carr and D.S. Sheppard.
More recently, in 2015 our U15 side reached the divisional final of the national Twenty20 competition and, for the first time in Sherborne?s history, they also reached the national final of the prestigious, two-year long ECB/ESCA Schools Trophy competition (formerly Lord?s Taverners Cup), losing out by just one run!
?The Upper? is a spectacular place to play cricket and over the past few years it has been used by both Somerset CCC and Hampshire CCC for warm-up T20 matches, as well as the school?s old boys? team, Sherborne Pilgrims, in the prestigious Cricketer Cup competition.
?The Upper? is located between Horsecastles and Westbury at DT9 3EH.